With DUI laws getting harsher, and the punishments getting more rigid, you need to get a lawyer to represent your case. You could be jailed, you might have to do community service, you would have to pay a hefty fine and you could be blacklisted for future employment opportunities. When you are arrested for a DUI, you stand to lose more things that you thought. Future employment opportunities would be the worse thing to lose; employers would not be willing to hire you if you pose a risk to them. By hiring a lawyer who specializes in DUI cases, you might be able to get off with the lightest sentence possible.
But remember, when hiring a lawyer, there needs to be a compatibility match between the both of you. Since you will be working with this person frequently, you will need to be able to understand each other. You can call up the bar association to check your lawyer’s track records and to see if there was a complaint filed against them. Among the benefits of hiring a DUI lawyer are:
1. You have some one on your side who is skilled and experienced with DUI laws to defend you: Your lawyer will have the necessary experience to defend you in court especially if DUI charges are their area of specialization. An experienced lawyer will have a good rapport with the judge, prosecutors and local law enforcement officers and this will help you to get a lighter sentence or getting your charges overturned.
2. You will be advised on your legal options: your lawyer can advise you your best option. If the charges against you are too overwhelming, then your lawyer might advise you to negotiate a plea with the prosecutor to avoid going to court, this saving you money.
3. You lawyer might be able to get your charges dropped or your sentencing reducing: an experienced lawyer will know how to get your charges dropped or request for a lower sentence. So, instead of going to jail, you might have to pay a hefty fine, but that is still better than going to jail, right?
4. Getting back your driver’s license: when you get charged with a DUI, your driver’s licensed will be revoked and your vehicle impounded. Your lawyer can help you to get your license back faster than if you were to do on your own.
5. Your lawyer has the time to investigate and find out everything he can about your case: your lawyer can investigate your case further and perhaps notice and find out things that the police might have missed to help you with getting your charges overturned.
When charged with a DUI, there will be many proceedings and legal stuff that you need to handle and take care of. Having a lawyer on your side helps you to handle all of these things while still being able to function in your daily life. With a stroke of luck, you might also be able to get the charges dropped so that you will not need to pay for this one mistake.